Sunday, July 7, 2024

Manny Winick RIP

My good friend and boss at Manny Wick and Sons on West 47th Street Emanuel 'Manny ' Winick passed away on July 5, 2024 in Southampton, New York with his daughter Ivy by his side. Manny was the son of Jacob and Gussie Winick of Minsk, Russia. At a young age he entered the diamondtrade on Canal Street, where we met in 1978 through his older brother, Seymour Winick NYPD, who introduced me to his son, Richard Winick. His father, Jake, worked with his son into his 90s. Manny was the last surviving brother of Seymour, Larry and Jack. Husband of Hilda Torem. Father of Ivy, Richard, Reid, and Chet. Grandfather of Jade and Jasmine, Justin and Skyler, Brandon and Blake. Manny had a thriving jewelry business began in 1954 in Lower Manhattan and later moved uptown to West 47th Street, which in this century expanded to Montauk, NY celebrating this June it's seventy years in the business, which Richard continues in accordance with his father's tradition. Manny taught me much about the diamond trade and tended in the end to be right about most everything. A native of Brownsville Manny and I retired after work to the cocktail lounge at Grand Central Station to converse about our lives. I was lucky to have him in my life. His Shabbat Goy. He fed me and my children. Manny. Come back Monday. You are always with me and yours. Shalom aleichem.

No comments: