Friday, May 15, 2009

DEAD SNOW - movie


A friend of mine sent a trailer for a Swedish movie. DEAD SNOW. This horror film is a remake of the classic EVIL DEAD set in the snowy forests of the north. Teenagers on a holiday discover treasure. It is guarded by zombie Nazis. Blood and guts. My friend thought it was great. Beer, teens, and the living dead.

Personally I prefer the slow-moving zombies of yesteryear mostly because I survived an encounter with the flesh-eaters.

In the mid-70s I was traveling out of Mexico in the direction of Austin Texas. The bus stopped in a two-burro village. I ate two tacos. Contents muy mysterioso. By the time I reached the border my body was struggling with a fever. I got a motel room and fell asleep reading HP Lovecraft.

My dream was inspired by his Gothic fantasies. Zombies in a decayed garden. flesh-eaters. Slow, but they cut off my escape and I took refuge in a screened gazebo. Their dirt-clotted fingernails scratched at the screens. Their breath smelled of the grave. There was no escape. A gravelly voice propositioned a deal, "Tell us the secret of human life."

"The secret of human life?" I must have slept through that lesson in Philosophy 101. "I don't know the answer."

"Tell us the secret of human life and we'll let you live for another 60 seconds."

"Oh." His question have provided the answer, for despite the horror of the zombies tearing me apart, I still wanted that extra 60 seconds. The secret of human life was wanting more.

No matter the consequences.

I woke up with divulging this to the zombies, thereby saving the human race for the threat of Nazi Zombies in Norway. Ein Zwei Die. Of course there was another Nazi zombie movie in 1977, however that one was underwater.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water.

No comments: