Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rockford Illinois


My Scottish friend and I set out from Chicago. The Interstate proved tough going and we opted to travel south on the back roads. I hadn't been this way since 1975. Our route evaded most of the change. Strip malls were unavoidable. Still the land was ancient. The banks of the Illinois river were dotted by Indian mounds. 13th Century. Towns of thousands and the main settlement East of St. Louis larger than London at that time. The Cahokia Mounds were no stranger. We climbed to the high plateau of the Monk's Mound. Facing south the budding woods replicated the a millennium-old vista. Behind us a six-lane highway hummed with midday traffic. Right over the ruins of suburban West Cahokia. No one lives there anymore, but neither do they populate the downtown of Rockford, Illinois.

The 3rd largest city of this Midwestern state has a deserved reputation for crime. No restaurants are open in the center. I didn't see one person. The factories are in ruins and the streets doomed to shadows. Archaeologists blame the collapse of the Mississippi culture to the exhaustion of natural resources.

"2012."

I thought we had until 2050.

My Scottish friend thought longer, then again he's several years younger.

My future seemed fated to be denied.

No comments: