Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Moscow Taxi Touts


New York newspapers used to report about naive visitors paying excessive fares into Manhattan. The record was set by a Japanese tourist. $2500 and the driver dropped him Harlem when he wouldn't cough up another $500. Things have improved at JFK, however the age-old practice of soaking the uninformed has a global reach. This evening I deplaned in Moscow's Terminal 2. My connecting flight to St. Petersburg was in Terminal 1. No signs suggested how to reach that destination although a taxi driver was willing to drive me the 5 kilometers for $60.

"Sorry. I don't have to be there that bad."

"Special deal. $40." He showed a price card. $60 for Terminal 1

"Why so cheap?" I figured that rate was from Moscow.

"Because I liked George Bush."

That settled it for me. I was in a slight rush, but I would rather miss my plane than join a Bush Supporter. I took the transit bus. Free and got me there in plenty of time. I even was able to drink a beer.

I got screw by them. $10 for a stein. Beer in airports is never cheap, except in Kiev. $5 for a large jeroboam of Stella. I'm getting to like Kiev more and more.

No comments: