Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Drunk in Moscow


I've been in Moscow airport three times in the three days as I bounced around the ex-USSR on a risk assessment tour for my friend, Johnny Zombie. All legit. I was traveling from Malaysia to Paris on Aeroflot. Kuala Lumpur-Karachi-Dubai-Moscow-Paris. The flight to Moscow took about 24 hours. None of them comfortable. I disembarked at Moscow to discover my connecting flight to Charles De Gaulle was delayed and wouldn't take off until the next morning. Two Norwegians were in a similar predicament. It was only 10PM but nothing was open and there was no place to sleep, however the Norwegians had two bottles of wine. I had two as well. We drank them within two hours, then wandered the terminal for more alcohol. Stateless transients were huddled in makeshift cardboard villages. They had nowhere to go, but one of them sold us a bottle of vodka. I think it was homemade. The liter took a long time to drink. Several Russians joined us. They had their own brew. It burnt a hole in my stomach. The session ended for me with the announcement of the imminent departure of the Moscow-Paris flight.

I was completely inebriated, so much so that the Norwegians had to carry me to the plane. I was in no condition to be near heavy equipment and bounced down the aisle to my seat. Every passenger prayed that I wouldn't sit next to them. I found an empty row and passed out within seconds of clicking my seatbelt shut. I woke several hours later at Charles De Gaulle. Still drunk but happy to have escape from Moscow Airport. I'll be back there on Thursday and again on Sunday.

We're starting to have a relationship.

Man and airport.

No comments: