Thursday, July 9, 2009

Bye Bye Michael


Michael Jackson has been laid to rest. The world is divided in different camps. Admirers, detractors, and the apathetic. I had planted myself in the latter camp. I have no Michael Jackson songs on my computer. I never saw him in concert. I didn't follow his tribulations with interest. He went his way and I went mine. My apathy was sacrosanct or so I thought until going to a restaurant in Uthaitanni.


Michael Jackson had been resurrected on a wide-screen TV. A concert before a stadium filled with frenzied fans. He sang their favorites on a stage costing millions of dollars. They loved him and I felt a sadness wrapped around my spine. Tears formed behind my sunglasses. My daughter asked what was wrong.


"A friend is gone." I said in English.


"Michael Jackson." She pointed at the TV.


"Yes."


"But he's still on the TV." At six Angie understood that sometimes you never can say good-bye to those we have forgotten to love.

In the end it's all about the music, although it's doubtful that Gary Glitter will receive such an outpouring of grief.

No comments: