Thursday, July 2, 2009

Defriended On Facebook


FAcebook has brought millions of old friends together. High school schoolmates. Old Lovers. Traveling companions. I've been grateful to reconnect with these people, however this reunion device has also proven to me that there were good reasons why I stopped speaking to several people and they have gratefully 'defriended' me because of political comments.

The first was an aging French singer who took offense to my defense of the Palestinian cause at the cost of Israel. Secondly was a lovely model from Paris who objected to my long-standing atheism and accused my disbelief on laziness. Lastly was a journalist to congratulated himself on fostering the misinformation about the Air France flight from Brazil having been knocked out of the air by a terrorist bomb.

I accused him of being a neo-con tool.

He didn't like that comment and defriended me faster than than a lover discovering you in bed with her mother. His friends on Facebook attacked my stance and none of them have said anything about the evidence from crash experts pointing to the causes of the accident to a systematic failure of the Airbus.

Just as well.

I have all the friends I need in the real world, where we actually speak to each other face to face. Sometimes we actually touch.

No comments: