Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Es Tut Mir Lied


My German professor in high school smoked cigarettes in the classroom. His voice grated the cinderblock walls with a tobacco rasp. We read Kafta's DAS URTEIL from a blue book. My Boston accent defiled the Teutonic language with the absence of 'R's. My 1st semester grade was an F. I was on academic scholarship. My failure was a disgrace to the testing system. The Principal and Vice-Principal suggested a change of language.

Spanish.

I refused their offer.

2nd semester was another F in German and another in religion. I no longer believed in god. The school took away my scholarship. I remained at Xaverian and studied German. My accent never improved despite Bruder Karl's tutorship. He failed two more times. I graduated from high school without any honors other than the annual delivery of Bruder Karl's Xmas card.

"You were my star student."

I doubted him until living in Hamburg. 1982. I spoke Auslander Deutsche at the door of a pimp's nightclub. BSIR.

"Es tut mir lied."

I did some things for which I was sorry, but I have never heard a Thai person say that they were sorry.

"Kor thod."

Your girlfriend can burn your house down with a burn-the-house-down smile.

No sorry.

Leave you for another man.

No sorry.

Say you don't love them enough.

No sorry.

Their lack of contrition is a parody of the famous adage from the movie LOVE STORY.

"Being in love is never having to say sorry."

Thais love everyone.

Beauty never says sorry to the Beast.

No comments: