Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Burning and Looting in Bangkok and parts unknown to the Western World


Last night my soi had the only bar open in Pattaya. Full Moon was serving cold beer and iced whiskey to about 20 Thais and farangs. A curfew was in force throughout Thailand. Everything verywhere was closed by the police. How they missed us was beyond our ken and we listened to Led Zeppelin and Loso throughout the night. My son Fenway was the star. He sang 'Khao Motorsai' on the karaoke mike. Afterwards we drove on my motorcycle down the Jomtien sea front.

Nothing.

It was only 10pm.

I went to sleep early dreaming of Fenway playing for the Red Sox. I woke in the morning and drove down to the sea temple in Ban Samae San. This fishing enclave was surrounded by Thai Navy property south of Satthahip. The U-tapao airport entrance was guarded by two unarmed sailors. Same for the other gates for the navy yard. Guns have not been issued to the troops whose loyalties are suspect. I ended up at the Navy beach. It was 7am. Two water spouts skated along the Gulf of Siam. I swam in gin-clear water. My son and Mam would wake soon. Mam would worry about me. I rode back to Jomtien with the rising sun, buying dried fish and candy at Ban Saray. Life almost seemed normal, excpet upon my arrival in Jomtien I heard that several supermarkets were afire in pattaya.

The red shirts had struck south.

The game in Bangkok was not over either.

The airport was rumored to have been closed.

Burning and looting was reported in Ban Amphur to the south. Young boys on motorcycles threatening fellow Thais with machetes.

Getting ugly elsewhere, so I'm staying close to home.

Bottles of water and bags of rice.

Soy sauce too and eggs.

It's siege time in Thailand and the weather is hot.
Downwith the UDD.

They were elected by no one.

Only the money of Thaksin.

No comments: