Monday, May 24, 2010

The Smear Tactics of the London Press


Sad Ferguson sounds like she's having a semaine terrible

Fucking London press. Worst parasites in the world.

I was once doing an interview with Rock Hudson at the Deauville film festival.

My interview was focusing on whether you would rather dine with Rock or James Dean since they had shared the screen in GIANT. I felt Rock was the obvious choice. He had good manners. A British reporter wouldn't let me finish my questions and he asked Rock about Jim Nabors. The Hollywood star ignored the interrogation about the star of GOMER PYLE and fended off any allegations about his secret life as a gay movie idol.

"C'momn young boys have been dying for you for years."

"You mind leaving the man alone." I wasn't gay, but had danced with a few men at 1270 and the Anvil. My younger brother was gay. I threatened anyone who bothered him. And not with words.

"I'm just trying to write a story."

"More like tar and feather Mr. Hudson. Why don't you piss off." At the time I was working as a bouncer at the Bains-Douches. I was more than ready to knuckle the reporter. Rock lifted his hand and said,. "Gentlemen, no fists or knives."

I was holding a silver knife in my hand.

"You can't talk to me like that."

"I'm not saying another word."

"Faggots."

"You say it with a lisp." I was still itching for a fight. The reporter stormed out of the dining room. Rock thanked me for my not making a scene and we had a lovely lunch. Atlantique Sole and a brilliant Riesling. he said that he felt James Dean was a great actor. All that pain. Every scene in the movie was a struggle with the chaos within the actor. Rock didn't' understand it and said, "I asked George Stevens, the director, if I should do anything different. He said you're doing fine. He then spent hours talking to Dean. It seemed so simple to me. Read your lines and act like your supposed to act, but what do I know."

Rock Hudson was nominated for an Oscar in GIANT. He was proud of that accomplishment.

As well he should have been.

No comments: