Sunday, October 10, 2010

RIP Solomon Burke


"RIP Solomon Burke...I remember having Mr. Burke play the new Peppermint Lounge on West 46th St in Times Square. He demanded being paid his fee prior to performance in $10 and $20 dollar bills. Despite my partner Rudolf objection I agreed. So we sat in the dressing room as he counted his $5000 in $10's and $20. When finished this huge bear of man stood up put his arms around me and whispered into my ear "God protects all his children but the devil controls money."Than he walked on to the stage and stop time, chatter and crusing. Burke was an original. I wonder who now can fill the shoes of a singer/songwriter like Solomon Burke?"

From Jim Fouratt - illustrious nightclub impressario and gay rights activist

TO hear Solomon Burke's CRY FOR ME please go to the following URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEu8DrO9PbY

No comments: