Tuesday, September 18, 2012

National Cheeseburger Day

New York has great cheeseburgers, but my favorite was from McBell's Bar on Sixth Street across from the West 4th Street basketball cage. Tommie Dimaestri was the waiter and served me free food whenever his boss wasn't looking too hard. I think Tommie was sweet on me. Anyway McBell's cheeseburger's ground sirloin was served on a fresh bun and topped by cheddar cheese with the consistency of melted lava. No one in the city can topped it, but McBell's has been closed for years and there's no mention of it, the owner, or his dog, Sam. It's a cruel world. Happy Cheeseburger Day and don't cheat by going to Mickie Ds, for their meat if everything from the cow, except the moo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Francis used to make the cheeseburgers on English Muffins. Loved them, they were great. McBells also had a wonderful chicken pot pie. Boy, do I miss that place, and all the wonderful characters who showed up there.

Betsy