Friday, August 22, 2008

Crime Doesn't Pay Honesty Pays Worse


When I came to Asia, Americans always asked if I was afraid of theft.

"No." My answer was derived from the fact that I usually lose cameras, telephones, and wallets before a thief can steal them and the Thai people have demonstrate their honest streak by my recovering the mislaid items at restaurants, hotels, and beach chairs.

Supposedly according to Thai law the finder is due a reward. I've heard as much as 50%, but most of the time they want nothing, already thankful for accomplished good. I usually give 10%.

This week the Pattaya Mail reported that a baht-bus driver found a bag with 500,000 baht in cash and goods. He returned the bag to three Omani men who gave him a 2000 baht reward. In many cases the finder wants nothing. Jamie called them 'kee-neo'.

"Better than nothing."

The driver said he was happy giving a good name to his city of Pattaya.

A good man gets his rewards in his heart.

No comments: