Sunday, August 24, 2008

Free Love ala Thai


was in my local having a cup of tea. It was the afternoon and my kidneys were fragile after last weekend’s industrial drinking. Stanley came down and said, “Gu’day.”



I like seeing Stanley at the bar, since he’s 59 and makes me feel young. His age doesn’t keep him from getting into trouble. There was nothing on the TV and I asked him where his girlfriend was. This opening is always good for a laugh.

“Told her to piss off.” He was looking equally fragile and ordered a tea.

“What for?” I’d heard a dozen reasons over the past month. Girls don’t last too long with Stanley.

“Went to Koh Lann yesterday. The sheila brought a friend. I paid for the boat, food, and did they eat. Like Ethiopian orphans. At the end of the trip they asked for me to barfine them.”

“200 baht?” it the going price for a bar girl.

‘Yeah, but I only wanted the one.”

“What time was it?”

“8ish.”

“That’s why. they were late for work.”

“So?”

“So if they’re late for work they get fined by the boss.”

“That really so.”

“Yep.” I ran down the situation of life as a bar girl. “The women are paid 2000-5000/month. They get two free days a month. Not weekends or holidays. If they want to take a day off it costs them 200-300 baht.”

“You’re joking?”

No, and some places stipulate that they have to go with a man four to 10 times a month or pay fine for each missing the quota. That goes for drinks to customers too.”

“You’re shitting me.” Stanley had been here many times, yet never thought about the price structure of the bar workers.

“Hey, they’re a thousand times better than working a brothel. That’s a prison in comparison to the bars.” I finished my tea. “So your girl was only trying to avoid a fine. Same as you.”

“I’ll go straighten it out. I’m a cunt. But not a bad cunt.”

“Good man.” Stanley wasn’t a good man. Neither am I, but I try and do a little bad as possible. That way I’m not going to get beaten by an irate bar girl in the middle of the street.

They wear those high heels for more vicious reasons than making them two inches taller.

To leave a comment click on title
For a related article click on this URL

http://www.mangozeen.com/fun-fat-farangs-on-pattaya-beach.htm

No comments: