Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cop Scams Cops


Most farangs living in Thailand have been subjected to the sight of a brown-shirted cop waving their vehicle over to the side of the road. Some feel they are unjustly persecuted for their western roots, however my Thai relatives and friends attest that they are also subjected to the random stop by the tam-luat or cops seeking to achieve their quota of traffic stops. Their vigilance increases according to the time of the month. Easy=going in the beginning and avaricious at the last of the month.

I've been stopped mostly for driving a motorcycle without a helmet, but always fear traversing Bangkok on the Skyway, since the cops are always in force at the tollbooths. Once I was stopped in Bang-Na. The cop said there was something wrong with my license plates. In actuality they were completely in order. He mumbled that we would have to settle the paperwork in Klong Toey, therfeby wasting several hours. I told him I would like to help him, except I had no money.

"Farang mai mii taeng?" He asked in the bright sunlight.

"No, my wife took it all." It was the truth. "I have 200 baht, but we can wait at the police station until she brings me some money. She lives in Chai-Nat."

Chai-nat is 200 kilometers from Bangkok and the copper waved me out of his sight.

The 200 baht paid for tolls and two beers.

Strangely Thai cops awarded a percentage of the fines they accrued through the month. Their higher-ups consider this an anti-incentive against sin-bon or bribes, however over 50 Chiang Mai policemen were disappointed to discover that their commander absconded with their 1.5 million baht pay-out.

Cop scams cops.

Som num nah.

ps the Police Sergeant disappeared with his family.

I'd look for him someplace in Rayong.

No comments: