Sunday, January 4, 2009

Roe versus Wade Thailand


Jan. 22, 1973 the US Supreme Court ruled in the case of Roe v. Wade, that most anti-abortion laws violated a constitutional right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment. Pro-life and Pro-Choice proponents have been arguing this issue for the past 35 years without any significant roll-back on its ruling. many countries followed America's lead to legalize a woman's right over her own body, Not so in Thailand. The a-word is illegal under Thai law.

No mention.


Back in the late-70s I accompanied several female friends to Planned Parenthood nearest the East Village. They wanted someone to hold their hand, as their boyfriends had disappeared shortly after hearing the phrase, "We have to talk."

On the first visit the women staff applauded my accompanying my friend to PP. I protested that I was not their boyfriend and they sighed, as they heard that line several times a day, however mine was the truth. The second visit the women were a little frostier. The visitor was a different woman. On the 3rd visit the director gave me a brief instruction on condom use. She didn't buy my declaration of innocence either.


Maybe I have a naturally guilty face for parochial school.


So for the sake of over-population suit up for action or you will be hearing in Thai. "Chan thong cui gang khun." or "I have to speak with you."


It means only one thing in either language.


For a related article click on this URL


http://www.mangozeen.com/sex-education-on-soi-six.htm

No comments: