Sunday, December 20, 2009

Back to the Camels


Private Eddie Slovik was last American to be shot for desertion. The year was 1945. In fact he was the only soldier executed for desertion in WWII

"They’re not shooting me for deserting the United Stated Army — thousands of guys have done that. They’re shooting me for bread I stole when I was 12 years old."

No US soldier has been executed since Eddie Slovik, although during the Vietnam War officers were 'fragged' if their orders had resulted in the death of their command or threatened the safety of a defensive position.

Over 8000 members of the all-volunteer army have deserted from service in Iraq.

"Hell no we won't go."

None are shooting themselves in the hand as was the practice in the Civil War. Some troops have been gaining weight to avoid their military duty and now a general in Iraq has threatened to charge pregnant female soldiers with desertion.

"I've got a mission to do, I'm given a finite number of soldiers with which to do it and I need every one of them."

The Pentagon has not responded to this issue. Neither has the president. Sex is not a subject America treats gently. Never tell unless you can make money from it or you're going out with Tiger Woods. This general better watch his back. He must top the 'most likely to be fragged' list.

Unwritten of course.

Bring the troops home from this madness.

No comments: