Friday, December 11, 2009

One Billion 2050


Copenhagen is a nice city. Someone once said that Denmark was the perfect country. It scored high in the Happiness Index for 2009. I was there in 1982. The DJ from Bsir's and I were on a road trip. We drank beer in the Tivoli Garden and ate herring along the harbor. I bought Maxie Laing's RUNNING in a bookstore. The girls were blonde. We went with two of them to a disco. I slept with one of them. Her name was Anna. Good memories for a pleasant town and this week hundreds of world leaders, ecologists, and industry experts are congregating in the Danish capitol to discuss plans to combat global warming.

Most of western America is buried under snow. A Canadian is proposing one-child families. The right is still in denial led by their head nay-sayer James Inhofe from Oklahoma. Obama is asking for us to make sacrifices.

Unfortunately it's all too late.

All the talk. All the strategies. All the rescue plans.

We are doomed by the excesses of the 20th Century and nothing we humans do in the decades to come will change our fate.

Nine billion by 2050.

Think more like one billion if we're lucky.

What proof do I have of this?

Absolutely none and I've been wrong before, but I got a feeling that i ain't wrong this time.

Doom.

Has a nice ring to it.

No comments: