Monday, June 16, 2008

2 Million Baht Lunch Pail Owner no longer MIA

When I first traveled to the Orient, my friends asked, "Aren't you scared of thieves?"

"No, because if anyone wants something from me, then all they have to do is wait for me to forget it."

And basically no one ever really stole from me in Thailand. I left a camera at a restaurant. They held it two weeks. I forgot my telephone at Soi 6. The girl gave it to me without asking for any money. I hung a Buddha medallion on the bed at a Walking Street short-time hotel. The maid wai-ed when she gave it back to me.

On the other hand I turned around in a New York gallery and someone swiped my camera a month ago. Welcome to America.

And to further demonstrate how honest Thais are a judge found a lunch bag with 2 million baht inside. No one would come forward and claim the lost item or money, but CCTV luckily revealed two lawyers for the Thaksin defense as having been so absent-minded with their money, although the more cynical members of the Supreme Court think this lunch pail might have been a bribe or sin bon to alter the judge's deliberation on Mssr. Thaksin's case and have summoned the lawyers to appear before the court. Both have no comment on the situation other than to say nothing, for the best truth is the one you never say.

By the way two million baht is enough to buy 6 1952 MG coupes in perfect condition. My old girlfriend Ann Magnuson is selling hers in West Virgina. Wish I could find a lunch bag.

No comments: