Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bo Diddley RIP


"Is that one or three Ds?"

I put in an extra L, but I'm sure that Bo Diddley, born Otha Ellas Bates ( no relations to the Bates of PYSCHO fame ) would forgive my misspelling, after all he rode one rift into history.

WHO DO YOU LOVE, MONA, ROAD RUNNER et al are based on 'three stroke/rest/two stroke' according to the NY Times obit, but they never were monotonous. Not even played one after the other. Especially MONA, which made me want to love any girl bearing that name to this date.

I couldn't find a single Mona in Thailand and don't recollect ever dating one prior to my departure from the USA.

Mona, who do you love?

Once more according to the NY Times 'Mona' was a 45-year-old stripper at the Flame Club in Detroit. Bo's glasses were not for looks, if he was writing songs for women that old, then again times were different back in the 50s. Strippers were a rarity. Mona's too and Bo as well. The Flame Club was the creme de la creme in burlesque. Nothing like it today.

"Oh Bo Diddley!"

At least he wrote songs for stripping and for that I shall always honor his name by playing Quicksilver Messenger Service's version of WHO DO YOU LOVE at least once a week.

Not that any stripper could dance to it, but then I'm not in stripper land anymore.

No comments: