Monday, February 16, 2009

There is no God

God-worshippers like to say, "There are no aethists in a foxhole."

I've never experienced the horror of WWI, although my grandfather served in France as a medical doctor along with my grandmother. She never spoke much about it, but somehow in my mind I think those years lessened her belief in the bearded Almighty.

My horror came three years in the form of a nervous breakdown. The causes were multiple and my treatment was self-induced catatonia mixed with suicidal urges, however throughout this dilemma I promised myself that I would never pray to god and I never did. Not once, so I was proud to hear President Obama acknowledge non-believers in his inaugerational speech.

I respect the right of others to think Gods or god exist, while I acknowledge there is a spirituality not needing a celestial spokesperson to define the divine.

We are all gods.

Not particularly good ones, but gods no less.

No comments: