Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Beauty of Myopia


Myopia denies good vision. I've been near-sighted since 3rd grade. My teacher moved me to the front row, which was reserved for reprobates and vision-challenged children. The bad boys never persecuted the girls, but ratpacked the bespectacled boys as easy prey for humiliation.

4-eyes around the world have been rescued by laser technology. Laser surgery clincis have corrected the eyesight of millions. Previously vision-challenged humans have 20/20 perspectives. My doctor friends ask, "Why not you?'

Why not?

Because I don't want to see everything.

I don't want to see fat girls drinking coffee in the subways or SUVs or the crowded highways.

Without my glasses the world looks like 1950 and every woman is beautiful.

It was so beautiful then.

No comments: