Friday, June 26, 2009

Eden Roc


It's been over 20 years since I've been to the South of France.

October. 2008. Cap d'Antibes

I was swimming in the Baie Doree. No one in the water except for me and an older woman. I stepped on something sharp. I thought it was glass, except I saw a small fish swimming away from my feet. The older woman said, "C'est une vivier."

"Huh."

I didn't understand her comment about poison until several seconds later. A burning sensation crawled up my leg. Intensifying with every heartbeat.

"Poison fish?"

She nodded her head and I made it to the beach, then crossed the road to my girlfriend's husband's chateau. (the French are so sophisticated that way) I entered the house and announced, "I think I just stepped on a poisonous fish."

"Fine." Bridget muttered with disbelief. She was a Vogue model. Her tastes were very pricey. "If you don't want to go shopping, just say so."

"No, I really am sick." My body was on fire.

"Right." She stormed out of the house. "Another weekend you've ruined."

Luckily I had the number of the doctor. He interjected a countermeasure. Bridget thought it was dope. She didn't speak to me for the rest of the weekend. Her husband said we were going to the doctor. instead he drove us to Eden Roc. It was sunset. he ordered a bottle of champagne.

"I'm not sure if i should."

"If you were going to die, you would be dead already." Guy was an ex-mercenary. He loved Bridget. Anyone with a libido would have done the same. We watched the sunset. It was almost romantic. Neither of us mentioned her name. It was better that way at Eden Roc.

No comments: