Sunday, June 10, 2012

BRANDI by Looking Glass


One summer night in 1973 my friend Peter Gore and I were tripping on LSD and decided to catch the dawn rising from the Atlantic. We got into my VW and drove north out of Boston. Traffic was very light this early in the morning. Peter tried to find something groovy on the AM radio and caught Looking Glass' BRANDI. We sang along the the popular hit, until Peter spotted a young woman hitchhiking by the side of US 1. The blonde was wearing a red dress and carrying high heels in her hand. One of them was broken. "It's her. It's Brandi. What a fine girl. Stop for her." I jammed on the brakes and pulled over to the shoulder. The girl ran up to the passenger's door and Peter let her into the car. She sat in the back and asked, "Where are you going?" "Gloucester to see the sunrise." I checked her in the rearview mirror. She had been crying and a bruise was rising on her face. "I'm heading to New York." She sounded determined to get there. "Now?" I could help flashing on that our passenger was a modern-day Cinderella. "My boyfriend beat me up and I whack him with my high heel. I'm not going back. There's nothing there anymore." "And what's in New York?" I wanted to know, since she was only capable of telling the truth. "I don't know." "You want to come with us. We have another hit of LSD. We'll put you on a bus later." Looking Glass was singing the last chorus of BRANDI. "Why not? It's not like New York is going anywhere." Peter handed her a tab. The dawn was glorious. We put her on the bus to New York the next afternoon. Peter and I never asked her name. She will always be Brandi. She was a fine girl.

To hear Looking Glass' BRANDI go to this URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tRXewCAmU

No comments: